As our members venture into the woods, we want to offer a reminder about tree stands.
Ten rules for tree stand safety are:
• Always wear a safety harness while hunting from a tree stand, including while ascending and descending.
• Never climb into a permanent stand you have not built yourself or carefully checked out.
• Never hunt from tree limbs.
• Be sure the commercial stand you have is safe. Practice with it before using it in the woods.
• Never climb a tree that is too small or too large for your stand to fit safely.
• Be sure your stand is level at the height you wish to hunt.
• Always stand up slowly and be sure of your balance.
• Be sure you are steady and braced before shooting.
• Always use a haul line for your bow. Never climb with your equipment.
• Never climb a dead tree or one with dead limbs above your head.
Enjoy a safe hunt and make it back home in the same condition as when you left.