Core Leadership Competencies
As part of developing MEUW's Leadership Academy, the MEUW Board of Directors took part in a workshop that helped to identify a set of competencies essential for leaders within municipal electric utilities. The core competencies help to define how everyone works together and the behaviors that all employees should demonstrate.
- Drives high performance teams through effective collaboration
- Collaborates across functions: understands how each team impacts one another and how each contributes to the overall goal
DEVELOPS POTENTIAL IN OTHERS
- Recognizes and empowers the potential and skill of others
- Motivates discretionary effort
- Coaches to promote growth in others
- Sets clear expectations and consistently holds people accountable to them
- Consistently models the organization’s values
VALUES THE PERSON
- Provides recognition to individuals in a personalized way that makes them feel valued.
- Acknowledges those who have made an impact and contribution to the organization's success.
CREATES CUSTOMER CENTRICITY
- Aligns decisions and actions to benefit the customer
- Creates the ideal customer experience
OPTIMIZES PERSONAL CONTRIBUTION
- Maximizes own contribution to the organization’s success
- Sets personal goals and tracks them to completion
- Influences others through strong leadership
CHAMPIONS THE CULTURE
- Lives the culture; demonstrates culture in practical ways
- Balances culture and results