In September 1928, representatives of four municipalities – Algoma, Menasha, Kaukauna and Sturgeon Bay – attended a hearing at the Capitol in Madison. The subject of the hearing, according to the MEUW archives, was “the general electrical situation in Wisconsin.” Together, they realized the private utilities were far better organized and able to present their views than the municipal utilities were. The founders of what was originally the Wisconsin Municipal Utilities Association knew that they needed to assemble a team to “present a stronger and more unified approach.” Officers were elected, bylaws were drafted, and the rest – as they say – is history. Today, 90 years later, the mission of strengthening and unifying community-owned utilities holds true.
Organizations simply do not survive for 90 years unless their purpose is rooted in something valuable. From its inception, MEUW has been the voice of public power in Wisconsin and the association (and the utilities it represents) earned the respect of regulators and legislators to help influence regulations and utility policy in the state. While much has changed over the years, at its core MEUW has always been focused on maximizing the shared interests of municipal electric utilities. And that commitment continues today –
and for the future.